First Aid At Work
This course covers the practical skills needed by a first aider in the modern workplace. The course will give you the confidence and knowledge to deal with first aid emergencies.
All delegates also receive a course pack including a first aid manual and personal First Aid Kit.
Who should attend?
Nominated workplace first aiders
Anyone wanting a comprehensive introduction to first aid.
Candidates must be 16 years of age at time of examination.
What you will learn?
The course will give you the knowledge and confidence to deal with a first aid emergency in the workplace.
On completion of training successful candidates need to be able to apply the following competencies:
- The ability to act safely, promptly and effectively when an emergency occurs at work;
- The ability to administer cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) promptly and effectively;
- The ability to administer first aid safely, promptly and effectively to a casualty who is unconscious;
- The ability to administer first aid safely, promptly and effectively to casualty who:
- Is wounded or bleeding;
- Has been burned or scalded;
- Is suffering from an injury to bones, muscles or joints;
- Is suffering from shock;
- Has an eye injury;
- May be poisoned;
- Has been overcome by gas or fumes;
- The ability to transport a casualty safely as required by the circumstances of the workplace;
- The ability to recognise minor illness and take appropriate action;
- The ability to maintain simple factual records and provide written information to a doctor or hospital if required.
Students will also be required to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the principles of
first aid at work, in particular of:
- The importance of personal hygiene in first aid procedures;
- The legal framework for first aid provision at work;
- The use of first aid equipment provided in the workplace.
Training courses, including final assessment, must last at least 18 contact hours.
The courses are usually offered over 3 days on a day release basis to assist employers to continue with their core business.
We can also tailor courses to each companies individual requirements for example at a week-end.
Assessment and certification
The qualification is assessed as set out below:
- Continual assessment by the tutor;
- Complete a 16 question, end of course worksheet (pass mark 12);
- Externally assessed demonstrating the ability to carry out CPR on an adult manikin;
- Externally assessed demonstrating the ability to carry out first aid for an unconscious casualty;
- Externally assessed demonstrating the ability to carry out first aid for a work place emergency situation.
After completing a final assessment successful candidates receive an HSE approved certificate wallet card which is valid for three years.
This course is legally compliant with the current Health and Safety (first aid) Regulations 1981. Upon successful completion of this 3 day course, First Aiders are allowed to practise for three years after which a revalidation course becomes necessary. It is strongly recommended that you update your skills by completing the annual 3hr refresher course.