Paediatric First Aid Certificate
The Paediatric First Aid Foundation (PFAF) course is designed for parents, and people who work with children in the absence of their parents.
This course will give candidates knowledge on first aid, and dealing with emergency situations when in the care of children.
All delegates also receive a course pack including a first aid manual and personal First Aid Kit.
Who should attend?
- People working with Children
What you will learn
At the end of this course the candidate will be able to:
- Make an emergency plan specific to the context they are working in;
- Deal with basic first aid emergencies with babies and children;
- Perform resuscitation on young children, babies and adults;
- Recognise and deal with shock in young children and babies;
- This course will cover:
- Electric shock in babies and young children;
- Internal and external bleeding in babies and young children;
- Burns and scalds relating to young children;
- Choking in adults, children and babies;
- Broken bones (suspected fractures) in babies and young children;
- Spinal injuries in babies and children;
- Head injuries in babies and children;
- Cases of poisoning in young children and babies;
- Bites and stings in babies and children;
- Foreign bodies in eyes, ears and noses of children and babies;
- Eye injuries in babies and children;
- Effects of temperature extremes (hot and cold);
- Febrile convulsions in babies and young children;
- Be aware of and recognise meningitis;
- Be aware of and recognise anaphylactic shock;
- Care for children who become unwell until they can be collected by parents;
- Know the appropriate contents of a first aid kit to use with babies, children and adults;
- Keep records of accidents and incidents that need recording.
This training course including final assessment, will last at least 6 contact hours.
Assessment and certification
The qualification is assessed as set out below:
- Continual assessment by the tutor;
- Complete an 8 question multiple-task worksheet, with a pass mark of 6;
- Demonstrating the ability to carry out CPR on an adult, child and baby manikin;
- Demonstrating the ability to carry out first aid for an unconscious casualty.
Certificate is valid for 3 years.